Sunday 25 September 2016

The Dublin presentation


During its final printing touches, I have presented my book (Social Marketing in a Country, The British Experience, Charleston SC, CreateSpace, 2016), for the first time, in Dublin, at the Trinity College (in the footsteps of Edmund Burke and James Joyce…), during the 41st Macromarketing Conference where I was accepted for the Marketing History track, chaired by Stanley Shapiro, the Professor Emeritus of Marketing. Truth is that the Social Marketing track, chaired by Gerard Hastings and Christine Domegan, didn’t received me. I couldn’t believe! When I met Domegan I protested and she told me that it was not her fault and that the reviewers where “very radical”. When I listened, in that track, Mike Saren comparing social marketing with nazi propaganda, I understood her “radical” mention. Well, radical for me is to be profound, accept complexity and produce stimulating and open analysis. Not that kind of intelectual blindness (and ignorance). After all, I was happy to be with persons like Stanley Shapiro that was unexcelled to receive me (I took good notice of his comment about my “out of box” presentation). After all, the presentation did well and several fellows mentioned my list of cognitive approachs and agree that my reference frame one fits with the British case and produce an interesting analysis. That was enough for me. Kim McKeage, the other co-chair, was very very nice to me with her comments after the presentation and when I met her in the campus. I was going to visit my freemason brothers at the17 Molesworth Street’ Hall and I took a freemason pin in my coat. Kim ask me if I was a freemason and told me about her many freemason friends, praising our freedom and tolerant spirit.

In Dublin, I have stayed in the Morgan’s hotel, just in Temple Bar, surrounded by music and drinks, and the best thing I did was to go, in a great sunny day, to the Martello Tower, in Sandycove, where Ulysses begins. Quite an experience, climb the stairs and feel the spirit of Joyce, closed in those walls with his silly fellows, thinking how silly and great our humankind can be, just like that academic cosmos of the 41st Macromarketing Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment